It is ideal to have the National Show Chair and venue selected AT A MINIMUM OF THREE YEARS IN ADVANCE. Ground work to find a show chair and venue should start FOUR YEARS IN ADVANCE. AMCA votes on their choices for the conformation judges THREE YEARS IN ADVANCE and these judges cannot be secured until we have specific dates and a specific location.
If you have any desire to chair a future National Specialty event, no matter how many years away, please come forward and contact AMCA’s VP.
Please review the following documents for additional information:
As a result of a motion from the 1998 Annual Meeting the following regions are to be used for the National Specialty only beginning in 2002.
Membership and Area Specialties will continue in the previous 10 areas.
AMCA uses a SIX AREA ROTATION – EVERY SIXTH YEAR IT WILL RETURN TO THE SAME REGION.
Year Region States Location Show Chair 2016 Rocky Mtn MT, ID, WY, CO, UT, NV, NM, AZ Hotel EleganteColorado Springs, CO Rob PrattBarbara White, Asst. 2017 Great Lakes MI, OH, IN, IL Saw Mill Creek Huron, OH Cindy Benson Patty Peel, Asst. 2018 South WV, VA, NC, SC,TN, KY, GA, FL, MS, AL, LA, TX Pending Barbara SalvadoreKymm & Roger Bass, Asst. 2019 Central WI, MN, ND, SD, IANE, KS, MO, AR, OK SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS TO AMCA VP CHAIR NEEDED 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE 2020 West Coast CA, OR, WA SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS TOAMCA VP CHAIR NEEDED 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE 2021 Northeast ME, NH, VT, CT,RI, MA, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS TO AMCA VP CHAIR NEEDED 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE
Alaskan Malamute Club of America, Inc. Regional/National Show Chair
NOTE: It is ideal to have the National Show Chair and venue selected AT A MINIMUM OF THREE YEARS IN ADVANCE. Ground work to find a show chair and venue should start FOUR YEARS IN ADVANCE. AMCA votes on their choices for the conformation judges THREE YEARS IN ADVANCE and these judges cannot be secured until we have specific dates and a specific location. If you have any desire to chair a future National Specialty event, no matter how many years away, please come forward and contact the AMCA VP.
The person chosen for this very important position should have enthusiasm for the job, the ability to work with people, attentiveness to detail, patience, and the fortitude to withstand criticism and complaints.
The Show Chair must be an AMCA member; have a thorough knowledge of dog shows and AKC rules and regulations. The appointed Show Chair should find someone they feel confident with to serve as their Co-Chair due to the level of detail and activities required. Whether there is a co – chair or not, more than one person must have the material and information in the event there is a change in leadership or if the chair is unavailable for some time before or during the show.
The show chairperson must be someone who has been a show chairperson for another specialty show or an all – breed show. This is not a job for a novice nor is it the time to train a new show chairperson! The show chairperson should also have attended a number of specialties in several different areas of the country. There’s nothing like firsthand experience to help with the ideas for your own specialty!
Roles & Responsibilities
- Shall be an AMCA member in good standing and must be approved by the AMCA BOD. Show chair must remain a member of AMCA in good standing for the duration of their appointment through financial closeout of the events.
- Must be familiar with the planning and implementation of dog shows and have the time to give to the preparation of a National Specialty.
- Preferably should be someone who has been a show chairperson for another specialty show or an all – breed show. It would be very beneficial of the chair had previously co-chaired a National Specialty event. This is not a job for a novice nor is it the time to train a new Show Chair.
- Preferably has attended a number of AMCA National specialties in several different areas of the country. There’s nothing like firsthand experience to help with the ideas for personalizing the spe cialty being held in your area.
- Accept full responsibility for the conduct of the specialty events and be able to work with a core group of appointed committee members.
- Prepare a proposal with the assistance of the Site Selection Committee members .
- When determining dates for event, investigate possible conflicts with other AKC events within a 200 mile radius. Use either AKC’s website to obtain information or send a request directly to AKC. If a conflict exists, it will be necessary to receive permission to “co – exist” from the kennel club.
- Work with each committee chair to establish a budget for their particular committee in preparation for completing the overall Show Budget
- Prepare a Show Budget with the assistance of the Treasurer and Vice President
- Work with AMCA’s Vice President on the completion of all AKC Event Applications.
- Responsible for the overall planning, physical preparation and implementation of the show and all of the associated activities and functions of the events.
- Recruit an Assistance Show Chair
- Appoint a core group of people to serve as Chairs on the various specialty committees. Let your committee chairs select their committee members, but with your final approval.
- DELEGATE – get the right people in each committee and your job be comes one of overseeing the committees and the budget.
- Relay all pertinent information to committee members including job descriptions and timetables. Open communication and team work is the key to making all volunteers feel as though they are “part of the national” and not just there to get the job done.
- Coordinate the activities of all committee and provide direction.
- Ensure that block of rooms is reserved for judges, superintendent/show secretary (if required) and guest speakers
- Relay all pertinent information to committee chairs/members including job descriptions along with timetables.
- Prepare , with the assistance of the VP, a Newsletter s announcement that contains the pertinent details of the following year’s NS/RS events, to be published NO LATER T HAN THE October NL (unless there are events out of the control of AMCA that require this date to be missed). (Govern by Show Policy)
- Responsible for relating all pertinent information to club members including time tables, premium lists, judging schedules, etc.
- Conduct monthly or quarterly meetings with your committee chairs.
- At the conclusion of the shows you will need to ensure that copies of all the major win photographs and the official results are provided to the AMCA NL staff for publication. There are several current AMCA Standing Rules or Show Policies which apply specifically to the position of an AMCA’s Show Chair.
- The Show Chair nor any member of his/her immediate family as defined by AKC are allowed to enter, exhibit or handle in th e Malamutes classes at the events he/she is chairing.
- The Show Chair shall not chair another specialty during the intervening time, except with Board approval.